Protein powder is an easy and effective way to provide your body with the nutrients it needs to build muscle. It is an optimal way to avoid consuming calories and carbs found in protein-rich snacks. They are ideal for a post-workout boost and quickly allow you to infuse the right elements into your body. As protein powders have a lot of benefits for those looking to build mass quickly, there is a wide range of options on the market. With the availability of organic powders, there are a host of healthier choices too, however, all are not created equal. In this article, we will review the best organic protein powder brands and give you our opinion on each. We will also share the powder we feel has the best nutritional benefit and price point.
Protein Powder Product FAQ
1) What Is Protein?
Protein is a macronutrient needed by the body. Amino acids link together to form various proteins. When proteins are consumed, the amino acids are broken down and subsequently reformed for our body’s use. All cellular activity is dependent on protein and amino acids.
2) How Much Protein Do I Need?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends 50 grams of protein a day, but your needs will vary based on how active you are. For active people, multiplying your bodyweight (in pounds) by 0.6-0.9 (determined by your activity level) to calculate your personal daily protein need.
3) How much Protein Do I Need To Grow Muscle?
Growing muscle requires a higher protein intake than the above recommendation. This is because after your body’s baseline daily protein needs are met, muscles you have worked out will need additional protein to aid in recovery. Protein required to support muscle growth will vary based on a number of factors like your body mass and the intensity of your workouts. A strategy for calculation is to multiplying your bodyweight by 0.7-1.0 to get a recommended total daily protein need, in grams. Bodybuilders commonly increase that amount by 1.5g to 2.0g multiplied by bodyweight.
4) Should I Use A Protein Powder Supplement?
If you regularly work out, you may benefit from a protein powder supplement. It is very hard to get the protein you need from diet alone when regularly working out. Also, the protein from shakes may be more readily available to your body because it is easier to digest. Faster digestion means faster absorption, which is very useful post-workout.
5) How Do I Know Which is the Best Organic Protein Powder for Me?
There are many protein supplement options. But which powder is the best organic protein powder? The protein powder best suited for you will depend on a number of factors. If you’re vegetarian, a plant based option may be best, or if you have a dairy allergy, whey protein powders should be avoided. Faster digesting proteins are best for morning use and pre- or post-workout. Slower digesting proteins make good meal replacements options or pre-bedtime snacks. There are also combination powders, which are good options because of their versatility and cost-effectiveness.
How We Reviewed The Best Organic Protein Powder
The best organic protein powder brands we reviewed were assessed based on the following parameters: their features, pros and cons, price, where they are available, and any warranties or guarantees. We pulled options that have an abundance of reviews and consumer confidence, and smaller less known brands that have produced good results. There should be an option for everyone.
Overall Price Range Of Protein Powders
When searching for the best organic protein powder, price can be a benefit or a drawback to any purchase. The price differences between the best organic protein powders and cheaper ones can be large. This may matter less if you are only buying one container, but over time, and with multiple purchases, the cost difference really adds up. That said, there are very expensive, heavily branded options that use very cheap raw ingredients. Obviously, there is no point paying more money for poor quality. For that reason, it is important to ignore the aesthetics of the packaging and read the ingredients. Higher quality products will have higher quality ingredients. That said, you will only be able to penny pinch so much and still get a quality protein powder. The average price of the supplements ranges from a few dollars a pound to 40 dollars a pound or more.
What We Reviewed
Less Naked Whey Chocolate Protein
- ONLY THREE INGREDIENTS: 100% Grass Fed Pure Whey Protein, Organic Chocolate, and Organic Coconut Sugar. Less Naked Chocolate Whey contains no artificial sweeteners or colors and is GMO-Free, Growth Hormone Free, Soy Free and Gluten-Free.
- ALL NATURAL WHEY: Our Grass Fed Whey is sourced from small US dairy farms to bring you non-denatured whey packed full of essential amino acids, clean protein and glutathione.
- MAXIMUM NUTRITION: 25g of Protein, 5g of Sugar, 8g of Carbs, 160 Calories, and 6.0g of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acid) per serving.
- COLD PROCESSED: Unlike most whey protein powders, Less Naked Chocolate Whey is cold processed to avoid contamination from chemical detergents, synthetic additives, or heavy metals.
- CHOCOLATE WHEY PROTEIN: We used the best tasting organic chocolate and organic coconut sugar to create a chocolate protein powder that can easily be used on its own or used in protein pancakes, cookies, or your favorite protein shake.
Perhaps the biggest draw of Less Naked Whey Chocolate Protein supplements is the fact that it has only three ingredients: non-denatured whey protein from 100% grass fed cow milk, organic chocolate, and organic coconut sugar. Nutrition information: 25g of Protein, 5g of Sugar, 8g of Carbs, 160 Calories, and 6.0g of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acid) per serving
There is no warranty or guarantee. When purchased from the company, unopened and unused packages may be returned within 14 days for a full refund or exchange, minus shipping.
This product can be found in stores and online for $80.00–95.00 for five pounds.
RAW Organic Meal
RAW Organic Meal is a good option for post-workout recovery. It is a Star-k kosher product and vegan. Nutrition facts: 20 grams of plant protein with 44 superfoods including organic grass juices, fruits, and veggies, 6 grams of fiber, 21 total vitamins, and minerals.
There is no warranty or guarantee, but they offer 30-day returns when purchased from the company.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $37.00-55.00 for 2.6 pounds.
Natural Force® Organic Whey Protein Powder
- ORGANIC WHEY PROTEIN POWDER - Only 4 ingredients or less! USDA Organic, grass fed whey protein powder sourced exclusively from family owned farms in Northern California.
- BEST TASTING GRASS FED WHEY - With craveable flavors like Cacao Bean, Vanilla Bean, and Coffee Bean, our Organic Whey Protein is a delicious way to add clean protein to shakes, smoothies, or baked goods.
- 20 GRAMS UNDENATURED WHEY PROTEIN PER SCOOP - Get 42% of your daily RDA for protein in each scoop!*
- USDA ORGANIC, NON GMO, PALEO FRIENDLY, GLUTEN FREE & KOSHER - We only use the best ingredients for our customers!
- 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Use our Organic Whey Protein once a day, every day for 30 days, and if you don't feel an incredible difference and are completely satisfied, simply request a refund and you will get your money back.
All Natural Force® Organic Whey Protein Powders have four ingredients or less. The supplement has 42% of the daily RDA for protein in a scoop. Comes with a satisfaction guarantee.
There is no warranty or guarantee, but they offer 30-day returns when purchased from the company.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $30.00-45.00 per 1.2 pounds.
Gardenia All-Natural Vegan Protein
- Best Tasting Plant-Based Protein. Period: If you've been let down by the flavor of vegan proteins before, Gardenia will change your mind!
- 20G Plant-Based Protein per Scoop: Raw & Sprouted Pea, Hemp & Quinoa Protein Blend
- Full-Spectrum Amino Acid Profile: Complete with 2.7g BCAAs & 3.5g Glutamine
- Phytosterol & Antioxidant Blend: Each Serving Contains 4000mg & 11 Ingredients Including: Maca, Cupuacu, Goji, Ashwagandha, Acai, Pomegranate & More
- Prebiotic Inulin Fiber & Protease, Aminopeptidase, Hemicellulase Enzymes Promote Digestive Health
Gardenia All-Natural Vegan Protein has 20 grams of protein and 4.5 grams of BCAAs per scoop. They are one of the few companies that enthusiastically offers a guarantee for their product. They also have a high user satisfaction.
30-day money back guarantee.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $39.00-45.00 for 15.2 oz.
Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder
- Includes 1 (2.03lb) Organic Plant Based Creamy Chocolate Fudge Protein Power
- Ideal for healthy, on-the-go nourishment for men, women, and kids. Whether you are a busy professional, mom, dad, athlete or student, these are great for busy lifestyles, meal replacement, smoothie boosters, on-the-go meals, and post workouts
- 21 grams of organic plant based protein, contains organic pea, brown rice, and chia, 5 grams of organic fiber, 3 grams of net carbs, 0 grams of sugar, 150 calories per serving
- Gluten free, kosher, vegan, non-GMO, soy free, dairy free, carrageenan free, and no artificial ingredients
- USDA Organic
Orgain Organic Plant Based Protein Powder is a kosher supplement that offers 21 grams of organic plant based proteins, 5 grams of organic fiber, 3 grams of net carbs, 0 grams of sugar, 150 calories per serving. It is also carrageenan free.
There is no expressed warranty, guarantee or return policy. The companies website simply says to contact them if you are dissatisfied.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $25.00-35.00 for 2.3 pounds.
Organic Whey Protein Powder
- 100% GRASS FED WHEY PROTEIN: The Organic Whey Protein Powder is extracted from the milk of healthy & grass fed cows that are raised with great care on local & sustainable farms in California; Pure whey protein powder
- HIGH IN PROTEIN: At 80%, the concentration of all-natural whey protein isolates in this whey protein powder is among the highest; A perfect choice of organic protein to meet your daily protein goals with ease
- COLD PROCESSED & NON-DENATURED: Unlike substandard whey protein powders, The Organic Whey Protein Powder uses gentle processing techniques to maintain a balanced amino acid profile & keep intact immunoglobin G
- PURE INGREDIENTS, GREAT TASTE: This organic whey protein powder doesn't contain any additives, fillers or preservatives; Even though unflavored, it carries the naturally good taste of high-quality, protein-rich, grass fed milk
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: The Organic Whey Protein Powder is certified by the USDA; Non-GMO, gluten-free & sugar-free; Click 'Add to Cart' to order & complement your active lifestyle with the premium protein intake you deserve
The Organic Whey Protein Powder is formulated at 80 percent protein concentration. It is cold processed and non-denatured. The supplement is an unflavored option, perfect for adding to shakes, etc.
There is no warranty or guarantee with this product.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $19.00-25.00 for 12 ounces.
Vega Clean Protein
- Note: The seal includes hole by manufacture to exclude passage of air, oxygen, or other gases
- 25 grams complete protein to help build and repair strong muscles, 15 servings per tub
- 4g BCAAs (Branched Chains Amino Acids) in a complete premium blend plant-based protein made from pea, hemp, pumpkin, and alfalfa
- Gluten-free, Non-GMO Project verified, and certified vegan
- No artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners and made without dairy or soy ingredients
Vega Clean Protein boasts 25 grams of complete protein and 4g BCAAs per serving. It is also Non-GMO Project certified. It is a good soy free protein supplement choice.
There is no guarantee or warranty for this product, but unused, unopened items purchased from the company can be returned for up to 30 days.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $25.00-35.00 for 19.5 ounces.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Organic Plant-Based Vegan Protein Powder
- Complete Amino Acid Profile to support muscle recovery.
- 24 grams of complete, organic, plant-based protein sourced from a blend of Organic Pea, Organic Rice, and Organic Sacha Inchi proteins
- USDA Organic & Non-GMO, Vegan, No artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners
- Gluten-free, all-grain complex made with ancient grains Amaranth, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Millet and Chia
- Organic Pomegranate Powder
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Organic Plant Based Vegan Protein Powder provides 24 grams of complete plant-based protein per serving. It also has a complete amino acid profile for the support of muscle recovery.
There is no warranty or guarantee with this product, but there is a 30-day return policy if the product was purchased from the company.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $34.00-44.00 for 1.77 pounds.
S.A.N. Rawfusion Complete
- A rich source of vitamins and Omega-3 fatty acid
- 100% plant-based whole food protein
- Goodness of the 12 organic superfoods
- Vanilla bean flavored
- Servings: 20
S.A.N. Rawfusion Complete has 21 grams of plant based protein per serving and is fortified with probiotics and fiber. The formula includes a variety of twelve “superfoods” and Omega 3 fatty acids.
There is no warranty or guarantee on this product, but the return policy is 30 days, though there are complaints about the difficulty of obtaining a refund.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $35.00-45.00 for two pounds.
Paleo Thin® Protein Powder Vanilla
- Delicious, Rich Vanilla Flavor w/23g Grass-Fed Beef Per Scoop (2 Pack) (4 Lbs Total)
- Infused w/Probiotics For Max Protein Uptake & L-Glutamine For Lean Muscle
- 2 Carbs, 127 Calories Per Scoop, Ideal Low Calorie Meal Replacement
- Made In Dedicated Gluten Free Facility, Organic Stevia Leaf Sweetened
- No Added Sugar (Zero Sugar), Derived From Pastured Cows (Easy To Digest)
Paleo Thin® Protein Powder is IKDiet Phase 1 Compliant. There are 20 grams of egg white protein per scoop. Perfect for a Paleo based diet.
There is no warranty, but there is a money back guarantee.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $44.00-54.00 for two pounds.
The Verdict – Which is The Best Organic Protein Powder
So which is the best organic protein powder? Well, picking the best organic protein powder was a hard decision–but ultimately we chose Less Naked Whey Chocolate Protein supplement as our top pick. While the price point is a little high, it is not as high as our second choice: Natural Force® Organic Whey Protein Powder. The quality of the only three ingredients is impressive, as is their overall customer satisfaction. One user sums it all up saying “If You Want Serious Quality with Serious Benefits, This Is Your New Best Friend.”
Less Naked Whey Chocolate Protein is super clean. It has the least ingredients of any product on our list. Also, the protein is non-denatured and sourced from grass-fed cows. Moreover, it is cold processed, which means there is minimal to no exposure to chemicals and heavy metals – that do not have to be reported on the label – unlike with many other organic and nonorganic brands. However for all its good points, at 16 dollars per pound, we have to give Less Naked Whey Chocolate Protein $$ out of $$$ on our price rating system.