Organic shea butter has been used for centuries because of its vitamin, antioxidant, and essential fatty acid rich composition. In fact, it’s believed that in Ancient Egypt Cleopatra widely used pure, unrefined shea butter. With an array of uses that cover medicinal, cooking, and beauty needs, shea butter is versatile and easy to use. Not all shea butter is of the purist quality, and to get the absolute best results from shea butter it’s essential to use the best product. There are so many products on the market today, it’s difficult to identify which shea butter is the best. To save you the time and stress of digging through hundreds of products, we’ve narrowed it down to the five best organic shea butters.
Organic Shea Butter FAQ
Image Via pixabay
1. What Is Organic Shea Butter?
Shea butter comes from the native African tree, Vitellaria Paradoxa, or the shea tree. The butter is a fat extracted from the African shea tree nut. The shea tree is found in the dry savannas of West Africa, spanning west to east from Senegal to Sudan. The tree also grows in the foothills of Ethiopia’s highlands. Shea butter is such a useful resource that there has been evidence of its use since the 14th century. Full of vitamins, antioxidants, and fatty acids coupled with anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties, shea butter can do a lot, and the next section will cover it all.
2. What Does It Do?
Shea butter really does a wide range of things. High-quality shea butter is so pure and natural it’s edible. In some African countries, shea butter is used as a cooking oil. In many places, shea butter is also used as a substitute for cocoa butter in chocolates to help maintain consistency. This butter is also used medicinally. Its anti-inflammatory and humectant properties make it a great base for medical ointments. Shea butter also has a slight SPF, working to limit ultraviolet radiation.
In Ghana, they use shea butter for consumption or on the skin as a protectant against dry and windy elements. In Nigeria, they use this versatile butter to treat sinusitis and ease nasal congestion. Many African percussion instrument makers use shea butter to increase wood and leather durability. Shea butter also has water-binding properties and is used in waterproofing wax and candle making.
One of the most common uses for shea butter today is skin and hair care. Skin and hair are exposed to pollutants, harsh winds, intense sun, and rough winter weather day in and day out, and shea butter can help relieve these impacts. Its vitamins, antioxidants, fatty acids, and emollient properties make shea butter a great product for skin and hair. When used on skin and hair, shea butter is a great natural moisturizer, and it can help:
3. How Does It Work?
For all its skin and hair nourishing benefits, apply shea butter topically. Shea butter melts at skin temperature, making it easy to rub in. Shea butter is also quick to absorb, so it’s easy to use. You can use it by itself or use it as an ingredient to make natural and effective lotions, conditioners, lip balms, deodorants, scrubs, masks, shampoos, creams, salves, body butters, ointments and so much more. Shea butter can really be used from your head to your toes.
4. Where Can You Buy It?
You can find shea butter online and in stores. When purchasing shea butter it’s important to pay attention to ingredients; many products are not 100 percent shea butter. Instead, these products use a tiny amount of shea butter and fill the product with other ingredients and sometimes chemicals too. All the reviewed shea butters on this list are 100 percent pure, include no other ingredients, and can be conveniently purchased on Amazon.
5. Price Range
All the products reviewed here range from $ to $$ for 8, 16, and 32 ounces. Some brands reviewed offer shea butter in other sizes, and those prices will be included in the review section. It’s possible to find shea butter on the market at lower prices, but when the price is reduced so is the quality. The shea butters we’ve reviewed fall into this price range because they are all high quality and pure.
How We Reviewed The Best Organic Shea Butter Brands
Image Via pixabay
The following products were reviewed based on features, pros and cons, price, where to buy, and warranty. For the highest quality shea butter, the quality grade it’s classified in is especially important, so we’ve taken that into consideration too. Shea butter is classified into five grades: A (raw or unrefined), B (refined), C (highly refined), D (lowest uncontaminated grade), and E (contaminants). All of the shea butters on this review list are classified as grade A. Customer reviews have also been taken into consideration to ensure that the products we include are used by many happy customers.
What We Reviewed
- Unrefined Ivory Shea Butter
- Shea Terra Organics
- Naturise Shea Butter Raw Organic
- Unrefined Raw Shea Butter
Unrefined Ivory Shea Butter
- Unrefined Shea Butter Benefits: relieves symptoms of eczema and similar skin irritation, moisturizes dry, cracked skin, boosts collagen production, fades scars and stretch marks. It will not clog pores so it's the number one natural choice to moisturize skin affected by acne or occasional breakouts.
- A free downloadable eBook of DIY skin care recipes is included with your purchase. The ebook includes several whipped body butters using shea, cocoa, mango and kokum butters and a variety of carrier oils. You will also learn how to make infused oils with dry flowers, calming salves, soaps, and other wonderful skin care recipes that you can easily make at home.
- Our wonderful Shea Butter is made by co-ops of Ghanian women in West Africa, it is authentic, 100% pure and filtered to ensure a clean butter, ready for your skin. This butter is always fresh and made from the most recent harvests of shea nuts to ensure you get the highest quality shea butter.
- Unrefined Shea Butter color varies slightly depending on the batch: It can be ivory, pale yellow, gray and occasionally a green tint. The scent is slightly smokey and nutty.
- Our signature Shea Butter is in brick shape, and is packaged in a sealed food-grade plastic pouch that is enclosed in a stand up resealable kraft pouch
Key Features of this product include the highest purity and quality. This shea butter is 100 percent pure and unrefined, and it’s made in Ghana, Africa. It’s fully organic and preservative free. This product is so good it’s rated “Amazon’s Choice” and has a 4.7-star review from over 6,000 customers.
Where to Buy?
Unrefined Shea Butter By Better Shea Butter can be purchased on Amazon.
In most cases, this product is eligible for return for a full refund within 30 days of purchase.
- Comes in two sizes (8 oz and 16 oz)
- Prime eligible
- Due to its purity color may vary from batch to batch
Shea Terra Organics
- ✔ INGREDIENTS: ECOCERT CERTIFIED ORGANIC 100% Pure & Natural. Shea Nilotica East African Shea Butter, isa rare healing, Anti-Aging Shea Butter From The Africa's Eastern Regions.
Key Features of this product are that it’s natural, raw, and unrefined. Another outstanding product, this shea butter is imported from Ghana, Africa and is 100 percent free of any artificial scents, preservatives, or additives. This product is another “Amazon’s Choice” with a 4.7-star review.
Where to Buy?
Organic Shea Butter by Mary Tylor Naturals can be purchased on Amazon.
The seller can be contacted for warranty details, and unsatisfied customers may be eligible for a refund.
- Prime eligible
- Only available in one size (8 oz) – but you can purchase a 16 oz size in a set with beeswax
Naturise Shea Butter Raw Organic
- 🌻 USDA ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER – Naturise offers the best quality shea butter that is Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, 100% natural, and USDA Organic. Be careful what you apply on your skin and hair! Only buy shea butter that has a USDA Organic logo on it.
- 🧈 UNREFINED 100% PURE, IVORY – Our shea butter is raw from the shea nut; we don’t use any chemicals to make the butter, just a clean, healthy unrefined process. It may not be the best looking white smooth butter, but the healthiest purest natural shea butter.
- 😌 AMAZING HEALING PROPERTIES – Do you suffer from dry skin, (dry hair?), acne, arthritis, dandruff's, eczema, muscle soreness, psoriasis, rashes, wrinkled skin? Here is your answer! Shea butter has naturally occurring vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E and essential fatty acids that surely will help you with all the above.
- 🧴 GREAT FOR YOUR DIY RECIPE'S – Are you a DIY enthusiast? Do you love making your own soap, cream, or lotion? Then you probably know that Naturise shea butter is what you are looking for. Have you never tried making your own skin care products? Now is the time to start, try out our recipe (look in the images.).
- 🛡️ 60 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Here at Naturise, we strive to provide you the best natural products. We travel the world to bring you the finest shea butter. We are so confident you'll love our raw shea butter, that we offer a 60-day money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the shea butter, just send us a message through Amazon, and we will authorize you a return for a full refund. Do not settle for anything less than the best. Order yours today!
Key Features of this product include high quality, organic certification, and convenient packaging. This product is unrefined and certified organic by Oregon Tilth. Perfect Body Harmony’s shea butter is also available in bulk. What makes this product stand out against the previous ones is that it comes in a convenient BPA free jar instead of a plastic pouch (with the exception of the 16-ounce size). This amber jar protects the shea butter so it can maintain all of its beneficial properties. This product scores a 4.6-star rating from almost 2,000 customers.
Where to Buy?
Raw Shea Butter By Perfect Body Harmony can be found on Amazon.
The 3.75 and 16.0-ounce sizes are returnable within 30 days of purchase. The seller can be contacted for warranties on other sizes, and unsatisfied customers may be eligible for refunds.
- Packed in BPA free jar (except for the 16 oz size)
- Prime eligible
- Comes in 8 sizes (8 oz, 16 oz, 32 oz, 48 oz, 64 oz, 80 oz, 10 lb, and 25 lb)
- A little pricey
Unrefined Raw Shea Butter
- Also available In 13.5 oz Jar [ASIN: B077DZXT55] & 16 oz Bars | Very Convenient Low Profile Wide Mouthed BPA FREE JAR. 3.75 oz. Double Walled White JAR For Maximum Product Protection (This is a 4.0 oz Jar by VOLUME.) We find most of our customers want to know the weight so we label as 3.75 Oz of Actual Organic Raw Shea Butter Per Double Walled Jar that helps to Preserve & Protect your Shea Butter's Nutrients from Harmful UV light!
- Best Natural Ingredient for DIY SKINCARE! * Best Natural Non-comedogenic (Does Not Block Pores!) Skin & Face Moisturizer! Use This Better Body Butter!
- SIMPLY THE BEST! Imported from Ghana, Africa. Made from the Karite Tree Shea Nut & Extremely Rich in Vitamins A,D,E,& F -Providing Your Skin Essential Antioxidants It Needs! * For Use On Your Face, Body, Skin & Hair In Its Natural State But Is Also Fantastic As An Ingredient In Homemade Natural Products Like Soap, Body Butters, Lotions & Cremes, etc.
- BUY NOW! Limited Qty! * Get Your JAR NOW! * Beautifully Packaged In a In An FDA Registered Facility!
This shea butter is unrefined and pure. This product is raw and free of any additives, and it comes in a jar for convenient use. Happy customers have earned this product a 4.4-star review.
- Unrefined and raw
- Comes in an easy-to-use jar
- Only comes in one size (32 oz)
- Not Prime eligible
So, what is the best organic shea butter? These organic shea butters are of the highest quality and are natural and unrefined. From this list, the top product is Unrefined Shea Butter By Better Shea Butter. With over 6,000 customers on Amazon and a 4.7-star review, you can trust in this brand’s purity for all of your shea butter needs.
For the first time user or for someone who is just getting familiar with the miraculous properties of shea butter, then the best choice is Unrefined Shea Butter By Leomael Naturals. This unrefined shea butter is high quality and it’s perfect for first-time users because it comes with an eBook full of recipes to show you how to use your shea butter.
Unrefined Shea Butter By Leomael Naturals is also a great choice for the frequent user who wants to buy in bulk. With a 25-pound option, Leomael Naturals provides an affordable bulk purchase without jeopardizing quality. For those who want to go bulk but don’t want a whopping 25 pounds, the 7 pound Raw Shea Butter By Perfect Body Harmony is the best bulk bang for your buck.
Shea butter has a plethora of benefits, with its vitamins, antioxidants, fatty acids, and anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties. Using shea butter for your skin and hair will have you seeing many benefits. Now you’re fully equipped with all the information you need to pick the best shea butter for you.
Featured Image via Pixabay