Gelatin is a protein and a widely used food ingredient that comes from various animal sources.
Organic gelatin is derived from animal sources coming from farms that use organic practices like avoiding the use of hormones, pesticides, or toxin-laden animal feed.
An example of an organic animal source would be pasture-raised and grass-fed beef.
Organic gelatin can be used as a mix-in for other foods or a standalone dietary supplement to be put into capsules.
There are many countries in the world such as Canada that allow companies to market gelatin as a natural treatment for a variety of conditions including age-related joint pain and bone loss.
1. What is Organic Gelatin?
Gelatin is a powder that is made from drying and then grinding up a variety of animal parts to access the collagen within. These parts may include the skin, bones, and soft tissue.
Not all gelatin qualifies for the organic label.
Organic gelatin labeling means that the animals used to make the gelatin have not been exposed to toxins like hormones, pesticides or other chemicals, and are pasture-raised and grass-fed.
2. What Does it Do?
Gelatin can be used as a treatment for thinning bones, joint pain and even thinning hair.
There are some people who also take it as a weight loss supplement, to encourage healthy nail and hair growth, to support digestive health as gelatin eases the movement of foods through to GI tract and protects the stomach’s mucous lining, and to boost skin cell renewal.
3. How Does it Work?
Gelatin is made from collagen that contains key amino acids.
These amino acids serve as building blocks for proteins and can add to the healing process or growth process for various types of tissue like bones, nails, and hair.
4. Where Can I Buy Organic Gelatin?
While you can find standard gelatin at most grocery stores, organic gelatin may need to be ordered online. Amazon carries a wide selection.
5. Price Range
There are two types of products on this list, the gelatin capsules, and powders. Capsules average about $.05 per count sold in packages of 200 or 250.
The powders start at $.65 per ounce and go to almost $2,00 an ounce.
How We Reviewed The Best Organic Gelatin
We compared the following products based on their key features, pros & cons, store availability, and price.
There is also some discussion about factors including ease of use and sustainable farming.
Overall Price Range Of This Product
Powders sold in larger bulk containers start at about $.65 an ounce. These are no-frills products meant to be used long-term.
Companies marketing to specialized target audiences like women offer more flexible packaging like a sample size but are also more costly.
What We Reviewed
- Premium Collagen Peptides Powder by Sports Research
- Unflavored Gelatin by Great Lakes
- Beef Gelatin Powder by Zint
- Collagen Peptides Powder by Custom Collagen
- Natural Gelatin by Solgar
- NOW Beef Gelatin by NOW Foods
- Premium Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides Powder by Amandean
- Beef Gelatin Powder by NOW Foods
- Premium Unflavored Gelatin Powder by NuNaturals
- Bone Broth Gelatin Powder by Sun Cow Grass
Premium Collagen Peptides Powder by Sports Research
- Collagen is one of the most important nutrients needed to ensure the health and vitality of your skin, hair, tendon, cartilage, bones, and joints. Around the age of 30, our bodies naturally begin to produce less collagen, and the first signs of aging start to occur.
- Each scoop contains 11grams of Type 1&3 Collagen Peptides with 18 Amino Acids including glycine, proline & hydroxyproline.
- Flavorless and mixes easily - use it in your favorite recipes (smoothies, soups, Keto Coffee & more) **Helpful Hack: To enjoy in cold water without clumping, mix collagen in room temperature water first, then add ice.
This organic gelatin is an unflavored product meant to be mixed into a liquid or added to food. It is used to support bone strength, hair and nail growth. While this is certified to be organic, it is also gluten-free, certified Paleo-friendly, and non-GMO. The collagen comes from grass-fed cattle.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $28 for a 16-ounce can or $1.75 an ounce.
- Flavor free so users can add it to water, yogurt, oatmeal or any sauce
- Promotes strong bones, hair, and nailsPaleo-friendly
- May clump in cold water
- The product has not been cleared through the FDA for treatment of any health issues
- Can not be used by anyone with a bovine allergy
Unflavored Gelatin by Great Lakes
This product is made from bio-active ingredients and labeled as being 90% pure protein. The packaging has also been redesigned to be easier to use.
This product is organic, Gluten-free, GMO-free, Glyphosate-free, Kosher, and certified to be Keto-certified and Paleo-friendly. It is also made from pasture-raised bovine and is formulated to dissolve in both hot and cold water.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $23 for 16 ounces or $1.43/ ounce.
- Easy to use packaging
- 90% pure protein
- Dissolves in hot or cold water
- Harder to find than other products on our list
- Only sold in 16-ounce packages
- Can not be used by someone with a bovine allergy
Beef Gelatin Powder by Zint
Zint markets this product as a “beauty supplement for skin, hair and nails” and a baking ingredient for thickening various home-made recipes.
The Zint beef gelatin is sourced from grass-fed beef, is certified Kosher, Gluten-free, GMO-free, and hormone-free. It is also Paleo-friendly and Keto-certified. It doesn’t have a discernible (bovine) smell or taste, so it can be used in coffee, tea, or fruit juice without issues.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $15 for the 10 ounce-pouch or $36 for the 16-ounce one.
- 2-in-1 product: beauty enhancer and baking ingredient
- No bovine odor or nasty aftertaste
- Cost-effective brand
- Mixing it into cold liquids might lead to digestive issues
- Formulated mainly for cosmetic support
Collagen Peptides Powder by Custom Collagen
- NUTRITION YOUR BODY NEEDS: As early as age 25, our collagen production is decreasing. Beef Collagen Peptides Powder replaces that lost collagen
- RICH IN PROTEIN & AMINO ACIDS: Collagen naturally contains 18 essential amino acids and is packed with 10g of protein per serving
- LOOK & FEEL YOUNGER: Decrease fine lines and wrinkles while mobilizing joints and cartilage
Bulk, no-frills packaging offers one of the best values as far as organic gelatin goes. The family-owned company has been making this type of product for 40 years and this specific product since 2003. They mean this for long-term use and many customers have a high level of brand loyalty to this company.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $32 for 32-ounces or $1 an ounce
None but they have a big following of loyal customers who swear by the product
- Family-owned business
- No frills marketing delivers a low price
- They have made this product since 2003
- Formula may clump in cold water
- Sold in bulk for basic uses
Natural Gelatin by Solgar
- Natural Gelatin; This formulation provides 1680 mg of gelatin per serving
- Bone, Joint & Skin Support; Gelatin’s unique amino acid profile offers support for bone, joint & skin health
- Additional Ingredients; Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Vegetable Stearic Acid, Vegetable Cellulose
This is not a powder, but instead, capsules filled with gelatin. They may be easier for some customers to use, but the label is confusing. They are sold as being natural vegetable tablets but this only covers the actual enclosure for the gelatin. They are still made from beef. There is also not a clear way to compare a serving size of this product with the daily use of a powder.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $15 for 250 capsules or $.05 per capsule.
- Capsules may be easier for some customers to take
- Each serving size is pre-measured
- Added dietary supplements including calcium in each pill
- The label is confusing, does not make it clear this still comes from beef
- There’s no clear way to compare a serving of this product to powders
NOW Beef Gelatin by NOW Foods
- NUTRITIONAL SUPPORT: Beef Gelatin is approximately 90% protein.
- HYDROLIZED: This hydrolyzed form of Beef Gelatin has been enzymatically predigested to enhance absorption.
- CERTIFICATIONS/CLASSIFICATIONS: Non-GMO, Quality GMP Assured
Another capsule product filled with organic gelatin. This company does a much better job showing the consumer what is in each capsule. This product is made by a family-owned business who also makes it in the powder form. This company is not only sustainable, but it also takes part in recycling programs that focus on environmentally friendly packaging.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $10 for 200 or $.05 each
- Sustainable product
- A family-owned company with 40 years in the business
- Budget friendly pricing
- Pills may not be as potent as powder
- Does not have the extra minerals added like other pills
Premium Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides Powder by Amandean
- HIGHEST QUALITY & GREAT PRICE 100% Pure Pasture Raised Grass Fed Beef Type I Collagen Hydrolysate from South American Cattle. Non-GMO, All-Natural, Fat Free, Gluten Free and the best solubility and neutrality on the market. Check our size (500g = 1.1lbs = 17.6oz) when comparing prices!
- COLLAGEN POWDER HELPS PROMOTE softer clearer skin, healthy joints, tendons, bones, hair, and nails. An anti-aging superfood that's been around for centuries in the form of bone broth. Ancient natural whole nutrition for a healthy gut!
- 90% + COLLAGEN PROTEIN WITH 18 AMINO ACIDS nurtures a healthy metabolism. Excellent addition for high protein low carb, Ketogenic (Keto), Paleo, Primal, GAPS, Whole 30, AIP, and Bulletproof diets.
This formula is odorless, colorless and made to work in both cold and hot liquids. It is a fine powder instead of a more granular texture. It is also certified to be all natural without GMOs, fat or gluten. This is another supplement that is certified Paleo-friendly and grass-fed.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $26 for 17.5 ounces or $1.45 an ounce
- No GMO, gluten or fat
- Paleo-friendlyWorks in both cold or hot water
- Sold as being a premium grass-fed product but it is not clear what makes it premium above other grass-fed products
- Odd sized packagingCattle come from outside of the United States
NOW Foods Beef Gelatin Powder by NOW Foods
- NATURAL THICKENING AGENT: NOW Real Food Pure Beef Gelatin is a natural thickener, stabilizer, and texturizer that mixes instantly - no soaking necessary.
- GOOD SOURCE OF PROTEIN: Mix 1 Tablespoon into your favorite cold juice and consume immediately.
- CERTIFICATIONS/CLASSIFICATIONS: Low Sodium, Paleo Friendly, Sugar Free
This is the second product by NOW Foods to make this list. This is their bulk packaged gelatin powder. It is by far one of the best-priced products on the market. Again this is made by a family-owned business with value and sustainability in the forefront of the brand.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $42 for four pounds or $.64 an ounce
- Bulk pricing
- Family-owned businessSustainable farming
- Grind may not be as fine as other productsCan clump in cold water
- Basic product for a basic price may not have all the bells and whistles of other gelatins
Premium Unflavored Gelatin Powder by NuNaturals
NuNaturals’ organic Gelicious Gelatin is primarily designed for baking. It has no funky smell or aftertaste, it easily dissolves in liquids (hot preferred), and it packs 9 grams of pure protein on serving.
The product is made from 100% pasture-raised beef, it is gluten-free, and Paleo- and Keto-friendly. Happy customers have noticed visible improvements in their joint health and looks of their skin, hair, and nails.
This product can be found in stores and online for around $20 per pound ($1.25/ ounce).
You get a full refund no questions asked if you are not satisfied with the product for ANY reason.
- Blooms consistently (unlike generic brands)
- Truly odorless and color-free
- A little goes a long way
- Some users reported discernible “animal-y smell”
- May not dissolve well in cold drinks
Bone Broth Gelatin Powder by Sun, Cow, Grass & friends
Made from 100% organic grass-fed pasture-raised cows from Germany, USA., and Holland, this product is both organic and sustainable. It is Dairy Free, Soy Free, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Kosher compliant (i.e. it contains no pork traces), and unflavored.
It is also less grainy than many other forms of gelatin, less messy to work with, and it dissolves in both hot or cold liquids. Packaging states it is not flavored and most customers prefer to add it to their morning coffee.
This product can be found in health stores and online for around $30 for a 1 lb container or $100 for 5 lbs. You can buy the 5-lb version here.
- 100% Organic,
- Made from pasture-raised cattle
- Less messy to work with than other gelatin brands including Knox
- Not for use by anyone with a bovine allergy
The Bone Broth Gelatin Powder by Sun, Cow, Grass & friends offers health-conscious users a budget-friendly product without fancy packaging or labels.
The trade-off in the lower cost brings long-time customers back year after year. The fact that this is a 100% organic product at such an accessible price has landed Sun, Cow Grass’ gelatin on our number one spot.
Custom Collagen is also another long-term member of this market. Both companies are family-owned businesses that strive to be sustainable.
Several newcomers to the list also peaked our interest. Zint is one of those brands that is striving to take organic gelatin powder out of the health food stores and into the beauty department.
This was a nice addition to the market and a fresh way to look at the product. It is clear they mean this product to grab attention for the beauty support it can offer.
One product that left us a little confused was the capsules sold by Solgar. The package made it seem like the product may not include animal-based ingredients, which is not the case.
Each product on our list is made from cattle, with some items being certified Kosher. Except Solgar, all other nine products make this clear in the event that a customer has a bovine allergy or is vegan.
You might also like:
Last update on 2021-02-28 at 02:18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API